- 2 cups all-purpose flour, measure after sifting
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups butter, at room temperature, (2 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
Preparation:Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Combine the first 6 ingredients, mixing well with a wooden spoon. Add the remaining ingredients; beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes or continue using spoon, scraping down the sides of the bowl a few times. Wrap the dough in waxed paper and chill for at least1 hour. Preheat oven to 350° with the rack in the center position. Roll the chilled dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the tops are set, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Makes about 36 soft molasses cookies.