Shabby Miss Jenn

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Desire to Write

I will admit that there are times I've let my writing become less then top priority. My blog isn't updated as often as I'd like. Sometimes life throws you one heck of a curve ball and next thing you know, you are laying smack down on your butt trying to catch your breath.

In the making of today's "to-do" list, writing this blog post wasn't even in the top 20 things to cross off. Truthfully, it wasn't even ON the list but something happened today that made me change my plans.
While quickly skimming thru my news feed on Facebook, I saw a friend of mine write something that has managed to tug at me for the rest of the day.

Her name is Tina and her blog is one of my faves to read.
She has such an incredible knack with words and her humor has on numerous occasions made me bust out in fits of giggles.

See the thing is, Tina has within the last while lost her mom. I can't even begin to fathom that heartache or level of pain. Today she mentioned that she wasn't sure if she had any funny left inside her. That she wasn't sure she still wanted to write.

That part is what has tugged at me all day. Without being able to sit down at her kitchen table and tell her this face to face, I'm opting to write it all out here.

The desire to write is something that many folks "think" that they have but it is a rare talent to really be able to make it work. To engage others with words on a screen is tough. Within seconds, they can click a button and be gone. To capture the attention of someone and then make them FEEL an emotional connection is a gift.

When my friend Rydonna was dying, she told me that she spent countless hours reading my works. She read every post I'd made in this blog. She read every magazine article I'd ever written. She read the novels I'd written as part of NaNoWriMo. I told her that the darkness was going to be too deep and difficult to come out of. Writing was going to become something of the past for me once she was gone.

She made me promise that I would continue to put words to paper; words to screen and someday that I would pour all the darkness and emotion into a novel. There are days that I stare at the blank screen. Words jumble in my head as tears flow and wet my cheeks. There are also days that I fill pages with thoughts and details to go into my book.

Tina will write again.
She will take small steps.
She will take deep breathes.
She will cry.
She will stare at the blank screen some days.

She will with time discover that her humor is something that can't stay away forever.
She has an amazing gift for writing and it will work it's way thru her heartache and pain.
Her gift of writing will be a way for her heart to heal.

Do me a huge favor and head over to her blog and leave her some encouragement and love.
She also has a Facebook FanPage called Tinalicious that you can check out and LIKE.

I love you my dear friend and you are going to make your mother so very proud.
xoxoxox

2 comments:

Art Chick said...

If I got paid for tears, I'd be a rich woman. :) You made me cry, but in a good way. Thank you, dear friend. Thank you for the warmth and encouragement, and for not giving up on me! It has touched me more than I can ever say.

Tracy of From Inside My Studio said...

xoxoxxo